In this Practical Occult newsletter guest author Sara Mastros, author of Big Book of Magical Incense, discusses using incense with planetary pentacles.
Using Incense with the Planetary Pentacles of Solomon, Magician King
Incense can serve any combination of four basic functions in the consecration of the planetary pentacles. I’ll discuss each of these functions, and some incenses that support them, below.
- It can help the magician enter magical space/time/consciousness and align herself to the appropriate current for the working at hand.
- It can help create a “bubble” of “native habitat” in which the spirits being called feel more at home.
- It serves as an offering to the spirits whose power activates the pentacle.
- It provides an easily manipulable physical material in which the spirit can manifest, and which can be read as a divinatory medium. I particularly like wormwood mixed with honey for this; it provides big clouds of thick smoke excellent as an evocation medium.
Working from Solomon’s Throne
At least the way I practice (the so-called “SLM method”), one essential key to creating Solomonic pentacles is to cast magic in the name of, and with the authority of, Solomon, Magician King. For that reason I “assume the godform” of Solmon before beginning to work. The ritual and incense below are designed to help you acquire knowledge and conversation of Solomon, Magician King, and to center yourself on his throne before beginning to work. Please note that the recipe below is not ketoret, the incense offered in Solomon’s Temple. A recipe for ketoret is also included in the book.
- Light the incense below.
- Enter magical space/time/consciousness by any method.
- In your mind, make believe you are standing before Solomon, Magician King’s throne. It is described in First Kings, verse ten.
- Make believe you are climbing the stairs, ascending the planetary spheres.
- When you arrive at the seventh step, the Saturn step, the dais of the throne…
- Sit in it, and feel the weight of Solomon’s crown on your head.
- Say something like: “In the name of El Shaddai, I declare: I am NAME, child of NAME, but I am also Solomon, son of David, the eternal Magician King. My word is his word, and his power is mine.” If you are Jewish or otherwise a descendant of Solomon, consider adding “Our blood is one blood” to the evocation.
- You’re ready to conjure from the Throne of Solomon.
Solomon, Magician King Incense
- 1 part cedar wood, for the great pillars of the Temple, the great Ashera World Tree.
- 1 part cedar needles, for the gentleness of the wind in the needles of the tree of the strength of the pillars
- 3 parts frankincense, to open the senses, and for power in the Upperworld and among the Angels
- 2 parts myrrh, to open the intuition, and for power in the Underworld and among the Dead
- 1 part cinnamon, to enliven the mind, and for its warmth and luxurious scent
- 1 part rose petals, for love, beauty, and luxury, and for the ties that bind generation to generation
Bubbles of Planetary Habitat
For planetary powers, the same incense can be used both to create a microcosmic planetary sphere in which to work, and also as an offering to the spirits of that sphere. Below, I’ve provided several recommendations for simple incense choices for each planet. The book also provides more complex recipes for each planet. You’ll notice that some incenses are good for more than one planet. It’s always better to use whole leaves/spices in incense, but if yours are finely ground, put in just a drip of water; loose powder can spark when it hits hot charcoal. If you’re in a pinch, frankincense is an acceptable offering for almost any upperworld spirit.
Single-Note Solar Incenses
- All resins, especially Frankincense
- Calendula (and most yellow flowers)
Single Note Incenses for the Moon
- All artemisia
- Clary sage
- Jasmine (and most white flowers)
- Orris root
- Star anise
Single Note Incenses for Mars
- Dragons’ blood
- Whole Black peppercorns (NEVER put ground pepper on charcoal; that’s basically tear gas)
Single Note Incenses for Mercury
- Chios mastic
- Whole Cloves
- Chai Tea
Single Note Incense for Jupiter
- Thunder-struck oak
- Cedar (needles or wood or both)
- Pine (resin or needles or both)
- Whole Cloves
Single Note Incenses for Venus
- Dittany of Crete
- Most fruits (especially wet ones)
- Most flowers (especially pink ones)
- Most “femme” commercial perfumes
Single Note Incenses for Saturn
Sara Mastros, author of Orphic Hymns Grimoire and Big Book of Magical Incense, is Pittsburgh’s leading Witch for Hire. She teaches tarot, witchcraft, Greek and Near Eastern mythology, Pan-Levantine folk magic, and practical sorcery online and at festivals all over the east coast. She’s also a co-owner of Quicksilver Cards & Games, an app company that produces both the Fool’s Dog family of tarot, lenormand, and oracle apps and the game Enjoy Sudoku! You can check in on her courses and lessons at www.WitchLessons.com, sign up for her newsletter at www.MastrosZealot.com, or follow all her witchy shenanigans on facebook at Facebook.com/Sara.Mastros
This post was originally a Practical Occult newsletter dated December 12th, 2021 and written by guest author Sara Mastros.